[gtkmm] Q: How to layout objects on a Notebook page

I have a very simple usage question. After spending several hours trying various things, all of which seemed reasonable to me -- but not of which worked -- I decided that it would put an end to my pain and frustration simply to ask the question here.

BTW, this is my fist attempt at using gtkmm. That's my excuse for asking such a simple question, anyway....

I have a Notebook, and on the first page I want to place a label and a combo, so that they more or less look like this:

 This is the label:    [this is
                        the combo]

In other words, I want the page to contain simply the text and the combo, laid out hoizontally. (I don't see a single control to do this, but I believe that this pair of controls does what I want.)

Can someone please either point me to an example that does this (or something pretty close to it), or write a piece of reaonably detailed pseudocode that would accomplish it?

Like I said, I have tried several things that seemed reasonable, but they either display something quite different or cause the program to crash.

Perhaps the most fundamental question is: what should be the type of the object that constitutes the page that is added to the Notebook? I have tried using Widget, HBox and Window, all of which are obviously wrong -- but I can't figure out which type is "obviously" right :-(

  Doc Evans