RE: [gtkmm] Dragging an object so that it moves along with mouse pointer

> From: Pramod [mailto:pramodbiligiri hotpop com]
>
> Hi,
> I'm trying to drag an object (say a box) so that it moves
> along with the mouse pointer, like in GIMP. But I've not
> succeeded even after spending days on this. The standard
> "dnd" example only considers dragging of some abstract data
> and not the _physical movement_ of an object on the screen.

Well, DnD is for moving data. There might be a temporary physical
representation of the data, but objects will always be abstract on a
computer. I guess there must be some API to specify the icon/graphic to be
used during DnD.

> It seems that the Gtk::TargetEntry object plays an important
> role here, but I couldn't get it to work. Both the
> documentation and the header files don't say much about
> Gtk::TargetEntry. Google and Teoma were not of much use,
> probably because Gtkmm is quite new.
>    I'd be grateful for any kind of help - hints or pointers,
> code snippets, hacks, links to gtkmm applications (preferably
> having dnd) or anything you can think of!

If you can find a GTK+ app that can do it, or ask on a GTK+ list, then I can
tell you how to do it in gtkmm.

> I'm using:
> gtkmm-2.0 on RedHat 8.0.

2.2 might have some improvements for D&D.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net