Re: [gtkmm] Questions and information

On Saturday 21 June 2003 12:25, Chris Vine wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 June 2003 12:53 pm, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 12:16, Dean Kutryk wrote:
> > > So what I'm wondering about is the future of Gtkmm.
> >
> > 1. GTK+ and GNOME will clearly be very successful and widespread in the
> > future. Many companies need them. They have a bright future.
> > 2. gtkmm has matured and demonstrated more understanding of API
> > stability than most proprietary toolkits. Over the past few years we
> > have had the following stable gtkmm releases: gtkmm 1.2, 2.0, 2.2. gtkmm
> > 2.4 has already been started. We are state-of-the-art. Nobody else is
> > even up-to-date with modern C++
>
> The present (or, at least, recent) approach to API stability in gtkmm is
> not to break API (and indeed ABI) between extra-version numbers, but it
> does permit API breakage between minor as well as major number versions.
> At any rate, your initial posting announcing gtkmm-2.3 indicated API
> breakage would be acceptable with respect to gtkmm-2.2.
>
> This may have changed, but if not I doubt it shows "more understanding of
> API stability than most proprietary toolkits", in the sense in which those
> who write proprietary code which use them are likely to understand the
> expression.  gtkmm's policy no ABI breakage between extra version numbers
> has however seemed to me to be exemplary, and perhaps that is what you
> meant?
>
> gtkmm is certainly state-of-the-art, which unfortunately tends to pull in
> the opposite direction from API stability.
>
> Chris.

Hi, I'm new to this list but this is my point of view....

API:
I tried to compile a glib/gtk 2.2 application on a machine powered by a gnome
2.0 release and it did not compile. Is it normal? If glib/gtk API is not
stable among minor release, we do not have to expect glibmm/gtkmm to be
frozen after a major release. It is enough for glibmm/gtkmm API stability not
to be broken between extra-versionnumbers.

Anyway, I'd like to be sure that applications written with gtk 2.4 will
compile with gtk 2.2... and if C API won't be broken, C++ API must be kept
completely backward compatible.

ABI:
It has surely to be frozen after a major release! A lot of people does not
like to compile their applications... ABI stability is necessary for Windows
commercial software to be ported on Gnome.

I attach my public key to this e-mail.

Andrea