RE: [gtkmm] Gdk::Color - can't understand

>Explain me, why values in Gdk::Color::set_rgb(red, green, blue) must be
>2-byte

>Explain me, why values in Gdk::Color::set_rgb(red, green, blue) must be
>2-byte
>values? I mean, that to produce a 0x3fafc0 color I have to write it as
>set_rgb(0x3fff, 0xafff, 0xc0ff), adding one extra byte to every color
>component.

Maybe to cover all formats of colors ans keep it platform independent
(scanner, printer, ...)
(incl. alpha and other stuff) in GdkColor.
I have no prolems with 2 bytes per color unit.

>And next, from reading gtkmm and gtk documentation I nevertheless can't
>understand whether I really do need colormap or just can easily live on
>with Gdk::Drawable::set_rgb_foreground() to draw my rectangles and lines
>on a drawingarea.

Yes indeed. GTK was designed for a Graphic Manipulation Program.
You don't need a colormap, if you don't feel so.