Re: [gtkmm] porting projects from gtkmm-1.2 to gtkmm2

Vishal,

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 12:09, Leandro Fanzone wrote:

> My own experience is that I almost had to rewrite everything from
> scratch. My application was heavy reliant on Gtk::CList which doesn't
> exist anymore, for example.

I second that. Speaking from the trenches and looking back, you would be
better off carefully planning your port to gtkmm2:

1. Read the poring guides both for Gtk2 and Gtkmm2. Also, download an
read the latest Gtkmm Programmers' Guide.

2. Study your application and list all of the methods and widgets that
are depricated.

3. For every widget that is depricated, list the functionality of that
widget that your gtk1.2 application used. Write a quick stand-alone
example for each case, testing how that functionality can be achieved
with Gtkmm2.

I ran into CList deprication woes, and wrote a small example that only
implemented the functionality I was interested in:
	<http://users.erols.com/volotsky/vlg/gtkmm/index.html>

Another thing was deprication of Gnome::PropertyBox. The same story.
Browse this archive for hints. There has been a few very useful
discussions in the past 4 months.

4. Only then, when you are convinced that you know how to change your
application, move on and start changing.

Again, I am a seasoned GUI coder. I write a small app once in a while
and quickly forget the whole business.

hope this helps,

VLG