[gtkmm] thread support

When I compile the thread.cc example I get the compiler error:

"/tmp/ccPlFkhl.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN4Glib11thread_initEP17_GThreadFunctions+0xd): In function `Glib::thread_init(_GThreadFunctions*)':
: undefined reference to `g_thread_init'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status"

I'm pretty sure this means I don't have thread support compiled somewhere, but I'm
not entirely sure. The only thing I can think of is if glib was compiled without
thread support. But that is supposedly enabled by default and I don't know how to
check anyway. If that is the issue and I recompile glib with threads
enabled, will I then have to recompile everything else, or just glib?