[gtkmm] Accessing a sigC++ signal

I have searched high and low, but I can't seem to find an answer to
this. How do I get at the underlying signal, for example a button's
clicked signal?

I need to emit a button's signal programatically (and sometimes I need
to connect one signal to another). Normally I just do
button.clicked.emit(). But now with gtkmm 1.3
button.signal_clicked().emit() doesn't work because signal_clicked()
doesn't return a signal, but a Glib::SignalProxy0, which doesn't have a
member function called emit. The only functions are connect and
connect_notify. How do I emit a signal?

Thanks.

--
MACINTOSH = Machine Always Crashes If Not The Operating System Hangs
"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."