[gtkmm] Dialog boxes

Hi,

I'm the author of the ICQ client ickle, and in the process of porting
it to gtkmm2, after getting too hacked off with 'limitations' of CTree
in gtkmm1.2. No doubt I'll probably have quite a few questions as I
progress, but I start with a simple one:

Gtk::Dialog has the virtual method on_response for the buttons added
with add_button to callback. I'm not entirely sure if I'm going about
this the right way, but if I add my own button with add_button, and
override on_response (calling the base one as a last resort) what
value can I use for the response_id? Or is this the wrong way to go
about it, and I should just create the button myself, and connect up
to signal_clicked() ?

Thanks,

Barnaby