[gtkmm] GTK-- problem

Hi. I am really quite new to Linux in general, and in my efforts to install the Gabber jabber client for Gnome, I've had to install a bunch of files for dependencies. When trying to ./configure Gabber, I get the following:

checking for GTK-- - version >= 1.2.5...
*** 'gtkmm-config --version' returned 1.2.5, but GTK-- (1.2.8)
*** was found! If gtkmm-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GTK--. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If gtkmm-config was wrong, set the environment variable GTKMM_CONFIG
*** to point to the correct copy of gtkmm-config, and remove the file config.cache
*** before re-running configure
no
configure: error: Cannot find gtkmm 1.2.5 or greater.

Now, I know this isn't the gabber list, but it seems pretty clearly to be a GTK problem. Any help in spelling out how to fix this will be much appreciated! (emiricol at hotmail.com if it should be taken off the list discussion)