[gtkmm] Any hints on drawing a pixmap on a drawing area in Gtkmm as in the Gtk+ tutorial?

I would like to do something very similar to the Gtk+ tutorial where
they draw on a pixmap and then copy that to their drawing area (for
speed of redraw), but I'm unsure of how to do that in gtkmm.

I am referring to:
http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/sec-thedrawingareawidget.html

Also, in that, they use gdk_draw_pixmap to draw the pixmap onto the
DrawingArea.

But, according to the Gtk API:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk/gdk-Drawing-Primitives.html#gdk-draw-pixmap
gdk_draw_pixmap is deprecated, but it does not suggest what to do
instead.

Whatever is correct now, how is that best implemented in gtkmm?  I
assume I would still subclass the DrawingArea, but no longer draw to the
drawing area's window, instead draw to somewhere else (maybe not on a
pixmap anymore?), and then on the expose event draw the event area on my
derived class' window...

Also, what is a pixbuf for?

Thanks,

--