[gtkmm] saving from main window? strange hanging @ ofstream::write()

I have run into something very strange.  I have a file writer, and I can
use that file writer to write to a file when I call it from the signal
handler for a button that is on my own dialog (and the dialog is brought
up by a signal handler for a menu item in my application).  However, if
I try to do the same thing from the signal handler from my File->Save
menu item, it hangs the application (it is freezing on the first
ofstream::write() call).  Is there something special I need to do to
write to files from different places in a gtkmm program?

The file writer is fine I think because it works when called from the
dialog and in a command line driver program I wrote to test it.

Any ideas of what is going on?

Thanks!

Mark