Re: [gtkmm] Talk about a major rewrite

Am 07.08.2002 00:23 schrieb(en) Nuno Afonso:
> I saw you're mail, but I thought it is a separate idea. You're funny if
> you really think that your idea could replace current
ListStore/TreeView's
> functionality. I don't say that current design is perfect, but it is as
> good as we could do it without rewriting Gtk's containers and view from
> scratch. If you're so briliant coder and have so many free time then
just
> to it and I'm sure Murray will happily add it as a part of Gtkmm
> extensions.

People are saying that some points of the Gtkmm "aren't so good", and
the TreeView popped up in some mail.. I'm starting to use them to do a
program, and as so i didn't like the design very much, so i gave an idea
of how i think that the ListStore, in this case, would be better... As I
can see from your answer new ideas aren't very well received, in fact
you sent some cynical answer.. No problem, won't give any advise again..

People are starting to react nervously because they are expecting and dearly hoping for an API freeze every day. It's just the wrong time to discuss such general API ideas - the policy is fixed now, it won't change any more unless drastic problems suddenly pop up. Concrete ideas will always be appreciated, I'm sure, and like Jarek said: if you come up with an overwhelmingly splendid and elaborated code that really brings us forward it will find a proper place
even if it's not in the main package (whose main purpose is to wrap gtk+).
If you want something done you've got to make some effort - don't expect
dozens of people to celebrate every half-cooked idea that comes up - there are
too little of us!

Regards,

  Martin