Re: Cannot start GTK apps - gdk_visual_decompose_mask

On Thursday 30 Jun 2005 14:26, you wrote:
> You don't really give us enough information to guess here. (My initial
> reaction is: that can't happen!)
>
> But we'd appreciate a bug in bugzilla, with:
>
>  - Your GTK+ version
>  - Information about your operating system (what distro and version,
>    if Linux)
>  - Information about your X server
>  - The output of 'xdpyinfo' as an attachment

Before filing a bug with gtk, I want to check that it isn't either a bug
elsewhere (such as in X).

The output of 'xdpyinfo' gives (amongst other things) this interesting item:

  visual:
    visual id:    0x3e
    class:    DirectColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0x0, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

where presumably the "0x0" for the green mask is causing the problem - indeed,
0 is the value in visual_list in the _gdk_visual_init function returned from
XGetVisualInfo for that visual.

All the other visuals (as shown by xpdyinfo) have non-zero masks.

If GTK should be handling the possibility that the visual could be zero, then
this would be a bug - otherwise - what's going on?

+ Is it possible to change the mask to work around the problem as a temporary
solution? I'd like to be able to use gtk apps again...

Thanks,
David Saxton