Re: Get rid of cursor in Label

On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 04:21:28PM -0700, Ben Johnson wrote:

> 1) using the mouse, highlight a section of a selectable label.
>   - notice that the cursor is only visible until one character has been
>     highlighted.  dragging further to expand the selection does not
>     cause the cursor to appear again.

This behaviour is identical to any other selectable text in
Gtk+: GtkEntry, GtkTextView.

> 2) clear the highlighted selection by single clicking on a different
>    part of the same label.

Why so complicated?  You can just give the widget focus
using Tab.  It's exactly the same.  It doesn't matter how it
got the focus.

> 3) remove your mouse from the area
>   - notice there is a cursor visible on the label which is serving no
>     purpose

Keyboard focus does not (normally) depend on where mouse
pointer is.  The label is still the focused widget and you
can select text.  So a cursor is present.  I would
definitely not call this `serving no purpose'.

> 4) click on some other widget to change focus away from the label and
>    notice the cursor disappears.

Now a different widget has focus -- if it's a text widget
it's displaying text cursor now.

> it is annoying, but not so bad imho.

It's the correct behaviour.

> Preben, you might try capturing the click and (de-)selection events
> happening on the label...  and during appropriate events attempt to move
> focus away from the label (to a default focus widget for instance).
> That might get rid of the cursor when it shouldn't be there.

Why are you trying to create an accessibility problem? How
would you like if GtkEntries behaved this way?

Yeti