what is an image

I have tried to decipher the picture rendering in GTK,
but I am not clear.  The ref documents are too brief
and the tutorials do not cover this subject well.

I have following questions.

1) We have a GtkImage and We have a GdkImage. What is
the difference between the two?

2) What is the difference between image, pixmap,
pixbuf?

3) What are the function calls involved starting from
a picture stored in jpg file to rendering it on the
screen.

Thanks.