Newbie Question about installing GTK+-2.6

I am new to GTK+-2.6 and trying to install it on linux, I have several questions, hope somebody could help me.

Is there a binary package for GTK+-2.6, how can I install it?
Do I have to install Glib, Pango and ATK before I install GTK+-2.6? Is there any documentation about how to install them?
I tried to follow the installation guide, after i untar the tar.gz file and try to configure it as following
./configure --prefix=/howe/user/gtk

I was using root account, but I got "-bash: ./configure: Permission denied", why could this happen?

Thanks in advance!!