GtkContainer and placement of child widgets

Hi folks,

I'd like to implement a container with some of the characteristics of
a GtkFrame (but derived from GtkHBox).  I can see the frame being
painted by gtk_frame_paint (gtk/gtkframe.c) as a consequence of an
expose event, and I can see the size allocation working, but I can't
see how this size and placement information is used to place either
the label widget or the child widget inside the frame widget itself.

I'm sure I'm missing something fairly basic, but I can't see e.g.
GtkFrame.label_xalign being used apart from size allocation.  I
don't see it used with the label widget itself, for example, even
though it *must* be used somewhere

How is widget placement actually done?

Many thanks,
Roger