Re: installing glib and gtk - new versions

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 00:16 -0500, Valdis Kletnieks vt edu wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:31:14 EST, charles livsey said:
>
> > I'm trying to install new versions of Glib and GTK over old on RH
> > Enterprise Linux AS,
>
> > I'm getting these errors?  Why does Redhat not use these versions?
>
> Because you're not using the version of RedHat software that focuses on
> "latest and greatest", but the version that focuses on "stability".

Nothing should stop him from installing unstable stuff in a separate
development prefix - he just needs to understand how to do that by
setting the various environment variables, such as PKG_CONFIG_PATH. Of
course it's stupid to try to install stuff from source as root on top of
the packaged software in /usr/.