RE: Are g_try_malloc() and g_free() thread-safe?

g_mem_set_vtable() doesn't really help (at least right now) because I
can't get any definitive information on whether malloc() and free() are
thread-safe.  I am building with -D_REENTRANT so the thread-safe
versions of malloc() and free() should be already/automatically
implemented.  Somewhere I read that the reentrant versions of malloc(),
calloc(), and realloc() lock the heap but free() does not resulting in
possible heap corruption.  That really doesn't make sense to me (that is
locking during allocation but not release) and I wasn't sure with what
authority the person made those claims.  It would however, explain my
problem.  Any thoughts?

BTW...

It is documented that g_malloc() indeed aborts during failure.  This is
infact why I am using g_try_malloc() instead.  The information for the
documentation of g_try_malloc() states:

"Attempts to allocate n_bytes, and returns NULL on failure. Contrast
with g_malloc(), which aborts the program on failure."