Packaging without a theme

I seem to be having an issue with the default theme used by my gtk
application.  The application is packaged with no dependancies built
with it and a second package built with all the dependancies (pango,
gtk, pygtk, etc).  However, the package with all the dependencies
seems to have a default theme associated with it and does not use the
users theme.  Is there a way to get an application packaged with all
the dependencies and still use the users theme and not a packaged one?

Cheers
 - Lucas