Only allowing window resize in one direction

I've been away from this list for a while. Hope no one will mind if I drop straight
back in with a question...

Is it possible to make a window resizable in only one direction?   I have a drawing
area with a fixed width and variable height.  I've got it in a window with a scrollbar
and it all works fine - except I only want the user to be able to resize the window
in a vertical direction.

I could never figure out how to do this back at version 1.2.  Now I'm porting some
of my old Gtk-1.2 stuff to Gtk-2.0 and, even with the new functions, I can't see
how to do it..

Anyone know?

--
David J. Singer