xkb and Gtk Accelerators

Hi,
This is a problem we almost have completly solved. The XKB side of things seems
to be working perfectly, but GTK (I think) is the party pooper :(

The taks is to make ALT + CHTN (ALT + IJKL for you qwerty people out there) send
arrow keys for navigation. You can look at the two small modifications in XKB
files to accomplish this withe the help of Ivas Pascal here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.xfree86.internationalization/1177

But we have hit a wall because now just pressing the "c" key while in a gnome
(gtk) dialog and that dialog has a "Cancel" button, that button is pressed. Even
though the ALT key was NOT pressed. Other apps work as expected.

Looking at xev shows that the "Up" key was pressed correctly, but why is GTK
catching it incorrectly? Is there a way to fix this? we are almost there.

Thanks for your help.
Ahmad