Re: How to configure XKB

bit_nima_tshering sherubtse edu bt wrote:
hi,

   can u can help me in specifying the name of all the files required to
configure XKB for including a new language in RedHat Linux 9.

Well, if it's only new characters you want to add, then you only need to
put a new file into xkb/symbols with the ne definition. Besides I
managed to add an icon for my new keyboard in the keyboard selector of
KDE 2.x by adding an appropriate line in xkb/rules/xfree86.lst (or
whatever it's exactly called). The other files in the respective
subdirectories of xkb/ are only used for defining things like the way
the function keys work or determining what symbolic keycode is matched
with which hardware keycode (this is something you probably wouldn't
want to change). Usually xkb/rules/xfree86 puts the pieces together,
but it has wildcard definitions for new keyboards, so it doesn't need
to be changed either.
   The best tutorial I found about the topic on the net is written by a
certain (Ivan?) Paskal in Russian. He also prepared an English translation, but it is unfortunately much less understandable in many
places than the original.
    I'm sorry to be of so little help, but I really can't go into more
detail now.

Good luck,

busmanus

Miert fizetsz az internetert? Korlatlan, ingyenes internet hozzaferes a FreeStarttol.
Probald ki most! http://www.freestart.hu