Re: why is gtk install so difficult?

On 2003.10.21 15:32 Melvin Hadasht wrote:

> Maybe you have some problems because you have an old distribution
> and many software evolved since. If you need to try newer software
> without sacrifying the stability of your original sofware, I'd suggest
> making use of the $prefix stuff.  For everything you compile yourself
> or you want to try, use a special prefix (e.g. $HOME/tests/).
> If you're satisfied, recompile with a /usr/local prefix so the users
> will benefit from newer versions. There will always be the distribution
> specific software in /usr. /usr should be the most stable versions.

Dear Melvin, I'm afraid this computer (the one I have the
problem with) is used as our primary test program for
developing software. We try to have it as "standard as
possible" and we go through a strict and demanding review
process before we upgrade or modify anything (and I have
the final word on things).

Most of the things installed are from packages, the new
GTK 2 software is installed from source though.

--Tara