How to change the size of menus in GTK apps?

Menus in GTK apps occupy too much precious screen space on my laptop
(the screen is only 480 pixels vertical).
How to configure GTK so the menus occupy less pixels high?
I would like to configure both GTK 1.2 and 2.0 apps.
I do not have Gnome installed. I would prefer not to install any apps
to configure that, I want to know what to put in which configuration
file to change the menus height/font.

--
    Miernik         ________________________ jabber:miernik jabber gda pl
__ ICQ: 4004001 ___/__ tel: +48608233394 __/      mailto:miernik ctnet pl