how to eliminate gnome-terminal internal border?

I have gnome-terminal using a 10x15 font on a 1600x1200 display.  I
want it to fit exactly into half the display, 800x1200 for 80x80
characters.  I have already eliminated the window manager frame.

There is still a 2 pixel internal border.  It appears from the source
that vbox and notebook already default to a 0 border width.  Where is
this border coming from?  Does GTK+ insert a border for every child
window?  Or am I missing something in configuring vbox or notebook?

Please send email as I do not subscribe to this list.  Thanks,
Adam