Re: dealing with column data

* Evan Lavelle (eml riverside-machines com) wrote:
> Carl B. Constantine wrote:
> >I'm writing an app that uses GtkTreeView widget to display data.
> >However. for two of these GtkTreeViews, the data isn't really row based,
> >but column based. It's more like a spread sheet and I don't think GTK
> >has anything akin to what I want.
> >
> >Essentially, I want to be able to select an individual cell in a table.
> >Get the data, right-click to popup a menu and perform some function.
> >GtkTreeView isn't geared for this. I don't want to select an entire row.
> >
> >Does anyone have any hints on how to accomplish this?
>
> Have you looked at <http://gtkextra.sourceforge.net/>? They've got a
> spreadsheet-like widget that may do the job. I haven't tried it.

it's interesting. That looks close, but it might be overboard for my
needs. I really want something like GtkTreeView but for matrix like
data, not really a spread sheet per se. I just need it to display data
in a tabular form.

I'll take a look at this widget and see if it can be used for my needs
though.

> >I really think there needs to be some more docs. The Gtk 2.0 tutorial is
> >missing docs on several widgets. it would be nice to get these filled
> >in.
> >
> >Just my $0.02 worth.
>
> I sympathise. What would be really useful would be a distributed
> "document it as you find it" system. If you find something that's not in
> the docs, then you write a few lines and submit it, and future users
> could browse the database and wouldn't have to waste time finding out
> how something really works. This would have saved me hours.

Well, I think we can do this anyway ;-) I plan on writing some docs to
fill the Tutorial section for GtkTreeView though I do have some more
questions about it first which are not in the reference docs, at least
not clear in my head ;-)

So I'll be asking the list for more help in that area ;-)

--
 .''`.      Carl B. Constantine
: :' :     duckwing duckwing ca