Installing gtk2-2.2

All:

My current setup is stock rh80.  I can't really remove the current rpms
due to the huge number of dependencies, and I would rather not update
the rpms, because they have them Dependant on Xfree, which is more than
I want to screw with.  Here is my install script:

export GTK_INSTALL_PATH=/opt/gtk+-2.2.1
#export CPPFLAGS="-I$GTK_INSTALL_PATH/include/glib-2.0"
export CPPFLAGS="-I$GTK_INSTALL_PATH/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L$GTK_INSTALL_PATH/lib -L/usr/lib"
export LD_RUN_PATH=$GTK_INSTALL_PATH/lib
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GTK_INSTALL_PATH/lib/pkgconfig
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$GTK_INSTALL_PATH/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
export PATH="$GTK_INSTALL_PATH/bin:$PATH"

rm -rf $GTK_INSTALL_PATH

install_me=1
if [ $install_me == 1 ]
then
	DIRNAME=glib-2.2.1
	cd $DIRNAME
	rm -rf config.status
	./configure --prefix=$GTK_INSTALL_PATH
#	make clean
	make
	make install
	/sbin/ldconfig -n $GTK_INSTALL_PATH/lib
	cd ..
fi

install_me=1
if [ $install_me == 1 ]
then
	DIRNAME=pango-1.2.1
	cd $DIRNAME
	rm -rf config.status
	./configure --prefix=$GTK_INSTALL_PATH
#	make clean
	make
	make install
	cd ..
fi

install_me=1
if [ $install_me == 1 ]
then
	DIRNAME=atk-1.2.0
	cd $DIRNAME
	rm -rf config.status
	./configure --prefix=$GTK_INSTALL_PATH
#	make clean
	make
	make install
	cd ..
fi

install_me=1
if [ $install_me == 1 ]
then
	DIRNAME=gtk+-2.2.1
	cd $DIRNAME
	rm -rf config.status
	./configure --prefix=$GTK_INSTALL_PATH
#	make clean
	#make
	#make install
	cd ..
fi

It seems ok up through and including the atk install.  When it gets to
the command:

./configure --prefix=$GTK_INSTALL_PATH

in the gtk section (the last one), I get the following error:

checking for libpng12... no
checking for png_read_info in -lpng... no
configure: WARNING: *** PNG loader will not be built (PNG library not
found) ***configure: WARNING: *** PNG loader will not be built (PNG
header file not found) ***
configure: error:
*** Checks for PNG loader failed. You can build without it by passing
*** --without-libpng to configure but many programs using GTK+ will
*** not work properly. The PNG loader is also needed if you are
compiling
*** from CVS.

Checking for the rpm yields:

rpm -qa | grep libpng
libpng-1.2.2-8
libpng10-1.0.13-6

The error says "library not found", so I set as follows:

export LDFLAGS="-L$GTK_INSTALL_PATH/lib -L/usr/lib"

and checked the following:

rpm -ql libpng
/usr/lib/libpng.so.3
/usr/lib/libpng.so.3.1.2.2
/usr/lib/libpng12.so.0
/usr/lib/libpng12.so.0.1.2.2
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.2
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.2/CHANGES
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.2/README
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.2/TODO
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.2/example.c
/usr/share/doc/libpng-1.2.2/libpng.txt
/usr/share/man/man5/png.5.gz

So I am not sure what is going on.  Any hints???  Thanks.

Neil