progress bar color

Hi,
I am reluctant to ask this and my only excuse is that I have never before
had a problem setting widget colors with either gtk1.2 or 2.X. Anyway here
goes! How do I change the color of the bar in a gtk progress bar in GTK2.2
I have tried all the usual gtk_widget_modify fg,bg etc and after searching
the archives have tried PRELIGHT as well as the usual NORMAL and ACTIVE
options (this was suggested to someone a while ago but probably for
gtk1.2) For me however the bar color stays obstinately blue! Any polite
help very gratefully received.
Nick Soffe.