State modifers

This is probably a dumb question:

For a GdkEventKey is event->state set in the case where only the Shift
key is pressed? When I press the Shift key, I get a key press event
emitted, but event->state isn't set to anything. If the shift key and
another key is pressed, then event->state & GDK_SHIFT_MASK is true.

Is this correct behaviour? If so, how do you detect when only the Shift
key is pressed?

iain
--
"The greatest evils in the world will not be carried out by men with guns,
 but by men in suits sitting behind desks" - C. S. Lewis