Re: Problem compiling pango 1.0.1

Damon Chong <cool_n_funky yahoo com> writes:

> Hi I'm a newbie with Gnome and C/C++ so forgive me if i'm
> wasting your time. I got a bunch of error messages (see
> attached) while trying to compile pango. Any advise
> appreciated. Thank you!  ;-)

This (I believe) is a symptom of a Slackware bug. Slackware has the
freetype2 header in:

 [includedir]/freetype2/freetype/freetype.h

Which is good, but the freetype1 header is in:

 [includedir]/freetype/freetype.h

Which means that when a program includes <freetype/freetype.h> with a
compile line that includes -I [includedir]/freetype2, it is
indeterminate which one it gets, and depends on what other -I flags
are on the compile line.

The *only* correct fix is for the freetype1 header files to be moved
in the package into a freetype1 sub-directory, and for the few (if any
packages) that compile against freetype1 fixed to find them.

I don't know the appropriate contact address for Slackware or I'd be
mailing them to ask them to fix it, since this is a very, very common
problem people are having.

The easiest thing for you to do is to simply remove the freetype1
package, since its very unlikely that you'll need to compile anything
against it.

Regards,
                                        Owen