Newbie - Compiling gtk+ 2.0.5 to another directory

I have downloaded the latest version of gtk+ and would
like to compile and put it to a different directory,
while keeping my old version which came with my
distribution. Could anyone tell me how I can do that.
My question is how can I tell the "./configure" to go
to take the new versions of the dependencies
(pkgconfig, glib, etc) from the new location instead
of giving me the messages that I need higher versions
(which I have already downloaded and installed)?

Note:
    - I had problems with pkgconfig and decided to
install it (even if I did not like it!) to the default
directory. This solved the problem in compiling atk
and glib.
    - In compiling pango, it gives me the message that
I need glib > 2.0.0 which I have already installed in
my new desired location (/opt/mycompiles/gtk+-2.0.5).
And there I am stuck.

I am running linux slackware 8.1

Thanks for your help
Ibrahim