How can i get the type of a selection.

I have a little gtk app which monitors the clipboard for changes and
saves it in a list. Basically it functions just like xclipboard but puts
a applet on the panel.

The question is, is there a way to determine the type property of a
selection as set by the app that put the selection there. I have been
using the TARGETS to determine the best type to use when calling the
gtk_selection_convert. But ideally i want to use the type that the
original app used when calling gtk_selection_data_set.

Thanks all, i did look in the archive but either missed any reference to
this or it hasn't come up before.

Simon