From: Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
To: "Dinesh Nadarajah" <dxn1972 hotmail com>
CC: gtk-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Help - need some insight into experience.
Date: 02 Oct 2001 17:20:58 -0400

"Dinesh Nadarajah" <dxn1972 hotmail com> writes:

> Does GTK/GDK do anything before displaying the messages. Here is
> what I see.

GTK doesn't, but gettext converts them into the locale's encoding, and
GDK/GTK 1.2 require them to be in the locale encoding. For GDK/GTK
1.3.x, they must be in UTF-8.

> I compiled the messages using msgfmt as usual. The messages are iso-8859-1
> compliant encoded.
>
> Then I set my local to ta_IN (I guess it is nolonger just ta). And the
> messages I see make no sense. They seem to be a collection of characters but
> no meaningful words.

So the first question is whether the ta_IN locale uses ISO-8859-1.  It
probably doesn't. Given that, you need to use the correct encoding for
the locale; for example, UTF-8 might work (try ta_IN.UTF-8 perhaps).

Havoc