activity bar w/ recursive CTree select

I'm trying to make my activity bar start moving when a ctree node is
selected. The problem is that I am always doing recursive selects, so many
nodes are being selecting and unselected so fast that the activity bar
turns on and off each time, and it doesn't appear to move.

I tried using a signal_connect_after in several ways, but I don't think
that is going to solve my problem.

What's worse is that I tried activating the activity bar when the
node-select signal is emitted, without turning it off on the unselect
signal, and the bar STILL doesn't start moving until after all nodes are
done with the recursive select.

Ugh. Any ideas? Thanks.

Matthew P. Hillebrand