OS X compile question

Is it possible to compile/install GTK+/glib on a Mac OS X system? I attempted to, but when configuring it had issues when checking host system type, saying i need to specify it ... but i couldn't find references to how to specify the system type in the install document. If anyone could please email me some help/suggestions/hints/rants on this at <yurtle bellatlantic net>, it would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks for your time wot wot.

cheers,
george