get size of widget

Hi

is here posibility for getting the size of widget (or at least of the whole
window).

In fact my problem is that I have 12 buttons (3x4 table) and I am changing
labels. When is label too large buttons resize and some of them don`t fit into
window. I want label gets truncated (it is called clipped I hope). And I don`t
want constant size of buttons (I want buttons get larger when I resize my
application). I was trying viewport here (with or without scrolledwindow)
but when I start resizing my window all butons get as large, that labels fit
into buttons and buttons don`t fit into window.
So size of buttons in % of table/box/window would be also nice (or any other
solution).

Feel free to send answer to all question. Even if % are nicer solution I like
learning about new things (getting size of widget for example).

Thanks

Martin Hejna
m hejna worldonline cz

(I am not subscribed, I will read answer from archive)