Re: Installing gtk without root access

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 11:43:07PM +1000, Raymond Wan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> 	A few weeks ago, someone posted a message about having problems
> installing GTK without root access.  I'm having problems with it now, but
> before I go digging through the scripts, can someone confirm to me whether
> or not it is possible to install GTK without root access?  Unfortunately,
> our system administrator is overloaded with work (as most sysadmins are :)
> ), so I would like to try to install it myself.
>
> 	The person who posted that message got a lot of helpful advice but
> no one said that it was not possible to install GTK without root
> permission, so can I presume it is possible?
>
> 	BTW, I'm talking about the current version of GTK v1.3 (v1.2.9 is
> already installed) and I guess I would need to install it and any required
> components such as GDK.  Thanks!

I have a nice collection of installed gtk/glib/pango/atk/pkg-config files in my /home/helmet/progs/gtk/newgtk directory. Works fine. Just make sure you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to <install-dir>/lib and add <install-dir>/bin to your path BEFORE configuring, building and installing, and nothing should croak. And pass --prefix=<install-dir> to configure or autogen.sh. That's all there is to it.