Drawing in window gives it focus in win32

It seems that whenever I draw in a custom widget and whenever I add
items to a clist the GTK window containing it gets keyboard focus.
This is unbearable as it happens in a window containing a status
display which monitors actions that happen in the background.  During
background activities this renders the machine practically unusable.
This happens on Windows NT.  I don't know if it happens on other
systems.

What can I do about this?  I have code to draw the relevant things
using native windows calls, but I'd rather use GTK/GDK.

--
                                                Niklas