Re: [pygtk] alt vs MOD1, MOD2, etc

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> I'm still fiddling around with interpreting keyboard input.  I have this
> little key reader script:
[snip]

> which prints out the event's state and keyval, then a printable version of
> them.  Output looks like
>
>     state (0, 65513) : < > Alt_L
>     state (64, 102) : < MOD4_MASK > f
>     state (0, 65514) : < > Alt_R
>     state (64, 102) : < MOD4_MASK > f
>     state (0, 65407) : < > Num_Lock
>     state (16, 102) : < MOD2_MASK > f
>     state (16, 65407) : < MOD2_MASK > Num_Lock
>     state (0, 102) : < > f
>
> What's confusing me is that the Gtk 2.0 docs say that <alt> is an alias for
> <mod1>.  On my laptop at least (Dell 7500 running Mandrake 8.0 and XFree86
> 4.0.3, patch level 7mdk), I see the following correspondence between keys
> and modmask bits:
>
>     Alt_L	 MOD4
>     Alt_R	 MOD4
>     Num_Lock	 MOD2
>     Scroll_Lock	 MOD5

Modifiers are configurable in X.  You can get the list of modifiers by
typing "xmodmap".  Maybe your windows keys are mapped to mod1 or
something?  For my system (no windows keys), I have the following mapping:

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

If X is configured for a windows keyboard, you will also have Meta_[LR]
keys bound to one of the modifiers, and maybe also the menu key.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/