Re: about two-way pipes or threads

On Wednesday 14 February 2001 08:56, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> I have another thing. I am probably doing something terribly wrong. Can you
> give me the names of these applications you wrote using this technique
> (and/or HTTP-locations) so I can look in their source. Maybe that helps...
>
> Ronald

The application xfdiff (part of XFCE desktop at http://www.xfce.org) uses
forks and pipes stdout, stderr and stderr between xfdiff, gnu-diff and
gnu-patch and achieves a graphical version for diff and patch. At a point
there is a triangular configuration between 3 independent processes. Also as
a part of xfce you will find xfglob (much simpler than xfdiff), which is a
utility to find files on your hard drive, and which pipes stdout and stdin
between xfglob, gnu-grep and glob (a command line utility that comes with
xfglob).

In using pipes for file handles 0,1, and 2, these programs at times use
sleep() for one second to ensure that the process reading the pipe manages to
finish before the process writing to the pipe exits.

--
saludos,

Edscott