Re: Compiling gtk+ as user (non-root)

Hi Torsten,

	Sorry, but I don't know about gimp, but I have installed GTK+ as a
non-root user, so I'll try to help.

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Torsten Scheck wrote:
> $ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/torsten/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
> $ export
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/home/torsten/local/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"

	Ok, two things I set you which you have not.  I don't know if you
really have to set it, but before I installed it, I set:

GTK_DIR - the directory where gtk is installed
PATH - to include "$GTK_DIR/bin"

> checking for atk_object_get_type in -latk... no
> configure: error:
> *** Cannot link to Accessibility Toolkit. Accessibility Toolkit is required
> *** to build GTK+

	Yes, AFAIK, you need to install the following five in this order
(perhaps you can mix up the order a bit, but I use this order and have
installed the latest 1.3 successfully):

pkgconfig
glib
pango
atk
gtk

	That is, do the config, make, and make install completely for one
before going on to the other, due to the dependencies.

> The new gtk+-version needs pkgconfig-0.8.0 according to an
> install note. RH7.2 only supplies pkgconfig-0.7.0, so I locally

	Our system has an older pkgconfig as well and I installed
pkgconfig-0.8.0 in my own directory using the above instructions without
problems.

> I'm willing to learn the basics. I also appreciate pointers
> to good documentation for beginners, dealing with the concepts
> I'm lacking with this problem.

	I got this pretty much from someone else answering my question a
few months ago.  AFAIK, I don't think there is a documentation somewhere
about installing GTK+ as a non-root.  Perhaps there is, by now, but
hopefully, the above will be enough for you.  Let me know if you need more
help; good luck!

Ray