XFree86-Bigfont extension: shmget() failed Errors ?!?!

hi,
I went through the arcive bu tcould not find something useful for this
issue:

Running Kernel 2.2.17 with RedHat 6.2 and XFree 4.0.1 I get those "shmget
failed" messages whenever I run a gtk/gnome app.

Now even worse: some apps couse this error:
"XFree86-Bigfont extension: shmget() failed, size = 122880, errno = 28"

I get lots of lines of this one.

probably related are errors/warnings about shared pixmaps not loading, i.e
when I open a menu and move the mouse down along the menu entries I get
those (imlib?) pixmaps errors for every menu entry the mouse scrolls over.
Same with toolbars ...

Is this shmget related with a kernel module shm.o ?
this module is there for my kernel but it refuses to load
(unresolved symbols)

Any ideas ?
where to start looking for a solution?

thanks