GTK Bindings for Java

I've been sniffing around for GTK Bindings for Java.  All I've found is
a project at SourceForge that looks like a ghost town.  As such, unless
someone can convince me otherwise (like if there's someone already
_actively_ doing this), I'm going to make an attempt at this myself.
I'm going to see what is on SourceForge first but I intend to start
working soon.  If anyone has any info on this (or valuable experience)
I'd appreciate it.  I've not constructed GTK bindings for any other
language but I'm a big fan of GTK and really think Java could benefit
from GTK bindings.

Thanks,

Dave Lawson
dlawson@loudoun.com