gdk_draw_pixmap, bitmaps, and XCopyPlane

Hi,

  I'm an old Xlib programmer starting out with GTK+.  I'm porting some
old code of mine and have run into trouble with bitmap manipulation
code -- I don't seem to be able to find a GDK equivalent to
XCopyPlane().  gdk_draw_pixmap (i.e. gdk_draw_drawable) will do the
job in some circumstances, but I can't find anything capable of
copying between drawables of differing depths.  If I include <gdk/gdkx.h>
I can call XCopyPlane myself, of course, but that's fairly ugly.

  What I would like is this function:

void
gdk_draw_bitplane (GdkDrawable *drawable,
                   GdkGC       *gc,
                   GdkDrawable *src,
                   gint         xsrc,
                   gint         ysrc,
                   gint         xdest,
                   gint         ydest,
                   gint         width,
                   gint         height,
                   gulong       plane)

gdk_draw_bitplane would be to XCopyPlane what gdk_draw_pixmap
(gdk_draw_drawable) is to XCopyArea.  I'm happy to write a patch and
documentation for this function if necessary, but I'd appreciate advice
from a GDK guru first.

Cheers,
Gary.
--
        Gary Wong, Department of Computer Science, University of Arizona
            gary@cs.arizona.edu     http://www.cs.arizona.edu/~gary/