gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable

I seem to be the only one having trouble with this, but i can't seem to find
the solution, and i have spent countless hours on it.  I cannot render the
pixbuf to the drawable 'drawing_area->window'.  I get this error when i
execute my program:

** CRITICAL **: file gdk-pixbuf-render.c: line 212
(gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable): assertion `drawable != NULL' failed.

here is my expose event, from which i think the problem is coming:

static gint expose_event(GtkWidget *widget, GdkEventExpose *event)
{
GdkPixbuf *pixbuf = gtk_object_get_data(GTK_OBJECT(widget), "pixbuf");

//render the pixbuf
	gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable(pixbuf,
			widget->window,
			widget->style->black_gc,
			event->area.x, event->area.y,
			event->area.x, event->area.y,
			event->area.width, event->area.height,
			GDK_RGB_DITHER_NORMAL,
			0,
			0);

return FALSE;
}

if anyone can help me with this i would greatly appreciate it.  like i said,
i have been working on it for a while and i would not have posted it if i
didn't really need some help. thanks.
-fred