Re: [gtk-list] Re: Perl/Gtk 0.6123

Hi Lupus,

Paolo Molaro wrote:

 << Loads and loads of improvements snipped. >>
Thanks yet again for all the brilliant work that you have done.

> > * Gnome::AppBar->new is bound to gnome_appbar_new() which
> >     doesn't have arg 'interactivity' rather than gnome_appbar_construct
> >     which does - probably my misunderstanding.
>
> >From the header file:
>
> GtkWidget* gnome_appbar_new  (gboolean has_progress,
>                               gboolean has_status,
>                               GnomePreferencesType interactivity);

Sorry, I was confused, the error that I actually got was:
  while trying to eval
    '$widgets->{'appbar3'} = new Gnome::AppBar('1', '1', 'user');'
  FAILED with Eval error 'Usage: Gtk::HBox::new(Class, homogeneous, spacing)
I am obviously doing something stupid, but I am not sure what.

> >     for $gnome_appbar->status() or ->progress() to get a ref to these but
> >     I don't understand XS enough to know whether this is my problem or
> >     Perl/Gtk's.
>
> According to the header file this fields shouldn't be accessed directly.
Yes, I can't remember why I was trying to get at them now. How does the
perl programmer update the status or progress bars in an appbar?

> >     GNOME_PREFERENCES_* (eg gnome_appbar_type)
>
> Examples?
Sorry, they were right in front of me in Gnome/pkg.defs.

> >     GNOMEUIINFO_MENU_*
>
> This is a bit tricky, because this stuff is there to help the C coder.
> Will see what we can do.
Yes, I am not sure yet how I should use them anyway.

> > * gtk_clock_type() as a work-around for bug in 1.0.5 where
> > gtk_clock_new() doesn't set type properly. I reckon that this might be
> > useful in any case.
>
> Could you be more specific on the problem?
My version of gnome-libs (1.0.8) fails to set the clock type to 'realtime'
when I call:  $widgets->{'clock2'} = new Gtk::Clock('realtime'); and the
effect is that the clock is always started with time 00:00

AFAIK this is (was) a bug in gnome-libs and a work-around is to construct
the widget and then explicitly set the type (in C) by calling, for example
gtk_clock_type(GTK_CLOCK_REALTIME) but this option is not available in
Perl/Gtk.

> > * GnomeMDI*
>
> Support added: I need a small C example to translate to perl to
> see if it works, though.
I will ask on the glade-devel list for a C example and send it on to you.

Damon Chaplin has released a new and improved version of Glade with more
Gnome widgets so when I have built that and Perl/Gtk again, I am sure that I
will have yet more questions :-(

Thanks again for your help,

Regards, Dermot