GTK - Re: Old version 1.0.6 - new version 1.2.3

Hi,

I am running redhat 5.2 and with that gtk ver 1.0.6  was loaded.
 I did not do any programming in that version. I made a printout of this
with the find command of all instances of version 1.0.6 on disk.
 which contain the word gtk.
Should I first uninstall all this old instances before installing the later
version 1.2?
 What other files should also be uninstalled?
I also have glib-1.2.3 on hand - seems also to be installed with ver
gtk+-1.2.3?
I extracted the downloaded file in windows with winzip 7.0 and copied the
examples to my working dir. Some do compile and run some complain about
missing stuff.
Being new to this (gtk & linux) I would not like to mess up the linux
partition.
Well I don't understand all the instructions for the installation in any
case but I still would like to make a start some how.
What is bothering me is all these choices to make that I don't understand.
Would it be possible to learn gtk through their examples ( I am probably not
smart enough for this)  or should I employ some other means to understand
gtk and use it.
What means did you daily users employ to learn it.
Why gtk. I was informed that gtk being the easier and most powerfull to use
in linux.
I would really appreciate some advice.
regards,
Johan.