gtk-- exceptions - was Re: Gtk-- FAQ: first draft available

Karl Nelson wrote:

[...]
> Should Gtk-- place a try/catch block arround the calls to the user
> callbacks that catchs all to an error message or let it
> crash GTK+ and hopefully fall through as an uncaught exception?
>
> Or alternatively can we write a gtk_signal_exception_cleanup
> function that can clean up the mess?
>
> --Karl

I would like to be able to use exceptions in as transparent a method
as possible. But if that solution causes ugly code with bad
performance, it should be avoided. I have the following questions.

1. What would a gtk_signal_exception_cleanup function do? I am not
   sure I understand exactly what we need to fix, or what method
   is used to fix it.

2. Where would it go (gtk-- code or user code)?

3. What would it do to the performance of programs that don't
   use exceptions?

I also copied this to the gtkmm list. I thought we should talk
about it there.

Todd.
--
   | Todd Dukes                      E-MAIL:  tdukes@ibmoto.com |
   | Motorola Somerset                  Phone:   (512) 424-8008 |