Help -- Clist regeneration

I've been through the FAQ, the tutorial, the docs.  I've tried every
avenue and combination I could think of, but I still cannot figure out how
to create and destroy a child widget in a seperate function.  Here's the
problem:
I have a table with buttons on it, in a scrolled viewport, in a window.  I
have a backend that is spawning children threads and will be sending
signals that need to be caught, causing a refresh of the table with the
buttons.  I need to destroy that table, and regenerate it with new data,
then repack it all into the parent window.

Do I send the callback function something like:
GtkWidget *CreateButtons(GtkWidget *MainWindow, Buttondata)
{
Now what? something like:
  gtk_destroy_widget(MainWindow->scrolled_viewport->table);

Then...rebuild the table from the new information (some linked list or
something), then make calls to:
gtk_add_container( GTK_CONTAINER(MainWindow), newtable, ...)
return MainWindow;

and once back in the calling function, make a call to
gtk_show_widget(Window);

<sigh>  I'm new to programming interfaces in X-windows, somewhat familiar
with C, and out of time to keep fiddling with this.  I'd like to use the
GTK+ toolkit for this project, but I don't know how.  <taking a deep
breath> Yes, I am at wits end with this, but I hope some kind soul can
help me or point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your forbearance,
---

David Camden-Britton
davidcb@acm.org